More Info (Fact
Leg Problems in Broilers
by Miller Hatcheries
The raising of heavy meat birds can
lead to leg problems due to the rapid weight gain of this particular breed
of chicken. Over the years, this has become a great concern with the primary
breeders and as yet, no one solution to this problem has been diagnosed. We
have developed a few recommended methods which may help minimize this
- Chicks or turkeys should never be started on paper or any other
- After your broilers are 10 days old, move the waterers near one end of
the building and the feeders near the other end. This keeps your birds
moving around and helps reduce leg problems.
It is very
important that your birds feel comfortable.
- We find that in over 90% of the cases where people encounter severe leg
problems, they are cleaning their brooder house quite frequently. This is
- Until the birds are moved out, the original litter should be left on
the floor and any fresh litter should just be added on top of the already
existing litter. This existing litter can be dried out by the use of
hydrated lime and frequent stirring
- Never use white lights for lighting during the brooding period.